Helpful Relocation Tips
- Create a moving notebook or folder so that all of the paperwork related to your move is in one place. Make notes, create a checklist, and keep receipts and documents.
- Create a moving calendar to track all aspects and tasks of the move.
- Do your research, or ask a professional organizer, about resources such as housekeepers who clean empty homes, carpet cleaners, reputable van lines and technology specialists.
- It’s time for The Great Give-Away. Why move things you no longer need or use? Find another home for them: favorite charities, recycling centers, family members, and garage or estate sales. A professional organizer has available resources to assist with the process. Someone out there needs what you want to give away!
- Don’t forget that all-important “survival box” packed with your bed linens, coffee pot and other must-have item.
- After you and your stuff arrive at your new digs, the last thing you need is a backache. Use furniture moving pads to slide heavy furniture around – it’s a cinch and doesn’t scratch the flooring.
- Find friends, family, or a professional organizer to help unpack and put away. You don’t want to live surrounded by boxes for weeks (and sometime months). Get help and get your house in order quickly so you can carry on in your new home and with your new life. Putting the puzzle back together can be fun.
These tried-and-true tips should make the relocation process a lot easier. Enjoy your new home!